Friday, May 21, 2010

Garden Recipe 1

Well, I decided that as part of my garden project, I would post a recipe for each thing I'm growing! Reader be warned: I do not measure things so well, so use your best judgement!

Tonight's ingredient(s): Fresh Basil, Onions, Thyme and Oregano
The Mission: Delicious Meatloaf

What you'll need:

1-2 big chunks of basil leaves, thyme and oregano finely chopped
1/2 Onion (any kind you've grown) finely chopped
1 lb ground beef (chicken and turkey works well too)
Ketchup (1/4 cup or a "big squeeze")
Honey Dijon Mustard (a smaller squeeze than the ketchup)
Dried Spices (onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes) to taste -- if you like it hot, add more red pepper... really into garlic? Go crazy!
~ 1 to 1-1/2 cups Bread crumbs enough to get the loaf to a "workable" consistency
~ 1/4 cup Crunchy Fried Onions (like the ones for green bean casserole)
1 egg beaten
2 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 1 cup hot water
salt and pepper to taste

Optional: add 1 cup of cheddar cheese (I omitted this to cut some fat and didn't miss it!)

Mix it all up and bake in a loaf pan at 350 oF for 1 to 1-1/4 hours until done!

No comments:

Post a Comment