Thursday, May 20, 2010

It's been so long since I've blogged... that I'm eating my garden!


Well, it's planted. Dread Pirate Roberts is full of delicious fruit and veggies and now I must sit back and see if my thumb is green, black, or some sort of khaki color.
Have I told you about the Crow's Nest, yet? Well, if I have not, it's AMAZING. The Crow's Nest is a local nursery full of flowers, shurbs, veggies, fruit, you name it! Not only did I buy 9 tomato plants, 4 cucumber plants, 4 cantaloupe plants and 4 watermelon plants for only $7 (yes, you read that right), but the red leaf lettuce I bought a few weeks ago that was barely a leaf has turned into a downright monster of delicousness!!! If you live in the Blacksburg or greater SW Virginia area... check them out: www.localharvest.org/farms/M7587

Apparently, I grew scallions? Who knew! I just plucked my "white onions" out of the ground because they had begun to flower (and for other novice farmers like myself: flowering = pull em out) and realized they were not large white onions, but actually large scallions! YUMMY!

Tip of the day: label what you plant! OOOPS...

Anywho, since my last planting (see above) I have added tomato cages and DPR is out of room! I think I plucked some "weeds" which were actually onions, but oh well! SUCH IS LIFE! We have soooooo many vegetables growing -- I just hope they bloom (wrong verb?) soon. I'm craving some home grown cherry tomatoes! Well, it's lettuce for now...


Cheers and Good Eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment