Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

HAPPY EARTH DAY!


So, I anticipated posting "later today" this weekend, but then with Greg's injury and other things, well... it didn't happen. Update on Greg's finger: no surgery needed! Yay! What an ordeal. I think it's appropriate that today is Earth Day and we can remember how Greg nearly sliced his finger off in the name of sustainability! :) (And yes... it is that finger...)


Other news on the "rain barrel" front. I recently learned that the Town of Blacksburg is trying to limit "sewer waste" from your house and will actually DEDUCT water used to water plants/gardens/cars since it does not go into the sewer system! HECK YEAH!

The garden is growing splendidly! Lettuce is blooming, onions are doing whatever they do and the carrots are starting to peek through the ground. Since Bonnie plants were buy one get one free in the completely biodegradable peat pots, I went on a pepper shopping spree! Those are doing great! BUT, I found a HUGE ant pile in the garden. What to do? I didn't want to use pesticides (kills the "organic" nature of my garden)... so I googled.
Got ants? This did the trick:
1) Boil water
2) Drown the suckers in hot boiling water
3) Immediate follow with a bath of apple cider vinegar
4) Rinse and Repeat




No comments:

Post a Comment